Monday, December 29, 2008

Launch of Movie Musings - Best in Basketball

There are so many great movies it is hard to know where to start. Deciding among a group of movies which is the best one is a challenge and so is deciding on THE top ten movies to recommend in a category. But that isn't going to stop me from doing so. Every couple of weeks I will post a new list. I will try to identify the top one, two or three in a category and then list "the rest of the top ten" in no particular order.

The spotlighted categories will be arbitrary and, in some cases unusual. Most will be pretty narrow since it is too hard to pick just 10 in broad categories (like sports - so there will be lists for several different sports).

I encourage comment and suggestions. It is amazing how long you can think about a category and not recall some of the most obvious nominees so please lob back your own favorites. And, of course, movies are art and thus what I like will be very different from what even my best friend might like. I look forward to hearing your comments.

Since it is currently basketball season my first list is best movies featuring basketball. Unlike many other categories, documentaries and biopics are mixed in with dramatic movies.

The best hoops film ever made - and one of the best sports movies of all time - is Hoosiers. Everything else in this category pales by comparison. Even the presence of Barbara Hersey doesn't change my mind on this one.
- See trailers at:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hoosiers+hackman&search_type=&aq=f

The rest of my top 10 (in no particular order) are:

Rebound: The Legend of Earl "The Goat" Manigault - Make sure not to get Rebound - starring Martin Lawrence. One of the best sports documentaries of them all. (Trailer at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWA9-j4fAb4)

Glory Road - Story of the 1966 UTEP NCAA champs - first all black starting five vs. Adolph Rupp and all those "white boys." (Trailers at: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385726/trailers)

Above the Rim - High school star about to self destruct; ends up having it out with local gang leader played (well) by Tupac. (Trailer at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvTCndL5cX4)

One on One - Highly touted recruit - Robby Benson - questions rigors of college ball in heyday of the 60's/70's campus revolution. The coach gets supporting actor award.
(Review at: http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/36463/One-on-One/overview - requires free registration to view entire article)

The Pistol: The Birth of a Legend - Decent biopic of the greatest white scorer and playmaker ever. Amazing little kid they got to play the part.
(Trailer at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSEMAL4OknM)

Hoop Dreams - Moving documentary of the paths of two inner-city high school stars with pro potential (Arthur Agee and William Gates). On Siskel & Ebert's "best Films of the 90's list." (Trailer at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph2Y-epihlk)

Soul in the Hole - Excellent documentary starring Kenny of Kenny's Kings and his star - but troubled player - Ed "Booger" Smith. Compared favorably with Hoop Dreams. (Review at: http://movies.nytimes.com/movie/136189/Soul-in-the-Hole/overview - Free registration required to view full review) or (Full Movie at: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=%22soul+in+the+hole%22&search_type=&aq=f)

Love & Basketball - Boy and girl next door both become stars and have a complex relationship. Mostly told from a black female's point of view.
(Trailer at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCdPCt_gPn4)

He Got Game - Denzel is the convict, his son, Jesus (no less) is the second coming on the court. To reduce his sentence Denzel must convince the kid to go to Big State U.
(Trailer at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GofVmD5lNAI)

Also rans:

Heaven is a Playground
Coach Carter
White Men Can't Jump
Final Shot: The Hank Gathers Story

And, honorable mention - Fast Break, a lousy movie but it was written by I guy I knew growing up. It starred Gabe Kaplan who now announces High Stakes Poker and was better known as Mr. Kotter on TV. And, it did feature UCLA star Mike Warren and NY Net and Knick Bernard King. (Trailer at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieqWHWOk8Xo)

Next List - Best Prison Movies - Part I

8 comments:

  1. Congrats and welcome to the Blogosphere Wayner!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright Wayne! I'm so excited to read all the upcoming installments. I haven't seen most of these sorry to say, but I have seen Hoosiers. It is totally awesome.

    The only other basketball movies I can think of that aren't on your list are Basketball Diaries with Leo DiCaprio and Blue Chips with Nick Nolte. I can't remember if either of them are good though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the online world. I like your list, can't believe blue chip didn't make it (JK! one of worst movies period).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you, Wayne. I suspect that you'll have a lot of fun with this. And, of course, you're right, Hoosiers is the best in this category (as well as many others). Terrific flick. So, keep up the good work and happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to be included in this endeavor! And since I am a Hoosier myself I couldn't agree more with your first choice! Brings back memories of my childhood--well at least the part filmed at Hinkle Fieldhouse where I attended my first college game with my dad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I considered Blue Chips for a while but the acting is really quite bad.

    Any movie with Shaq is hard to put on a top ten list. Did anyone see (and like) Kazaam? That film could be a leader of the bottom 10 of all time.

    And, this was certainly not one of Nolte's better efforts.

    I did enjoy seeing Bob Cousy and Penny Hardaway on the big screen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One other item. Basketball Diaries. This is an excellent but depressing movie. One of Leo's best films of his early career. It is on my Top Ten Drug-Related Movie List but there is so little basketball in the movie I did not include it in this category. Good comment Punky!

    ReplyDelete
  8. patrik -Wayne- this will force me to pay attention when we watch BB movies
    ....I'm so excited...

    ReplyDelete